Monday 31 August 2015

Day Sixty Seven - Dingwall

Today we were leaving at 7 again because we are staring to ride on the Cabot Trail. As I was taking down my tent it was still dark enough to require a headlamp. I noticed the light of the full moon was reflecting off the lake. Also the eagle that I saw yesterday flew by over the lake.

As you can tell from my incoherent language I am totally spent and then some. I only hope to get this blog posting done before I fall to sleep. 

Sam, John, Arlen, and I started out riding together today. It was pretty easy going into Cheticamp at 70 km where we ate lunch. While there we met a couple from Montreal that was doing the Cabot Trail. They were very interested in learning about our adventure because they were thinking about also cycling across the country. 

Before we got to Cheticamp I had an issue with my bike. I noticed a rubbing noise and feared it was a broken spoke. It was not. My rear tire had unseated itself and my tube was between the rim and tire. Never had that before. And of course on one of the hardest days. Well it was an easy fix to deflate reseat and inflate the tire. 

After lunch the days ride really started. The first 70 km really a warm up for the three climbs we would be making. The first two before Pleasant Bay were challenging and very scenic. We took our time because we knew we had one more climb to go. The downhill portions were scary fast. Sam got up to 82 kmph and I was going faster than that. 

At pleasant bay we took a break. Once we started riding again we notice some soreness and fatigue but knew that we had the biggest climb of the day coming up. 

The climb was 14% slope for 4 km. which doesn't sound too bad. In reality I completed the hill using my easiest gear and riding zig zag across the road when there were no cars coming. 

My team prepared diner which was tuna something. We ate with our chairs in a row facing a spectacular view of the mountains and ocean. Amazing!

As I am in my tent writing this the sound of very loud thunder. Followed by a massive downpour of rain pelting my tent. I quickly left my tent to ensure that the fly was covering my tent properly. 

Today was a very good day. Very very beautiful scenery. Very very steep climbs and descents. 

Four more days left. :(

Sunrise on Lake Ainslie
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail leading into Pleasant Bay
Supper time after a hard day on the Cabot Trail




No comments:

Post a Comment