Friday 4 September 2015

Day Seventy One - St. John's!!!

The Last day. That is the first thought I had this morning when I woke. I smiled and felt excited that I am so close to finishing my epic journey. Then felt sad that it is over. During the past 72 days I have spent with these 12 cyclists and one driver I have seen and experienced Canada in a way I have never before.

These 12 cyclists are super human. During hard days they are tough and strong. Every rider has been willing to help each other with whatever needs to be done. These are people that should not be under estimated for their age, young or old, size, or for their cycling experience. We started together in Vancouver and we are all finishing together 7000 km later in St. John's. Well done to you all. 

Leaving the campsite John noticed that he had a flat. First one. He was a little upset that he didn't make it the whole way across. I didn't really feel too bad for him because I've had around 18 flats. He decided to change his tire because he had a large piece of glass that had pierced the Kevlar layer of the tire. There was a little confusion in the tire change and we ended up putting the tube with a hole in it in the new tire. So we did it all again with a fresh tube a second time but was faster than the first. 

The first 44 km was rolling hills through rural coastal areas. Very beautiful and rugged. We stopped at 35 km for a 2nd breakfast at a Subway. Once we got onto the highway it was rolling hills but much bigger. Headwinds were a factor on the speed that we got on the downhill. 

We waited it the Tim Hortons on Topsail drive until the whole group was together. The atmosphere was one of celebration. People were high fiving each other. 

We cycled towards signal hill together. I felt like it was somewhat of a parade. Feeling accomplished and proud of what we had done together. Really it would have been hard to do it without the other riders support. My riding partners Sam, John, Kerry, and Arlen being the most frequent helping me through the tough days. Thank to you all. You are amazing cyclists, the sky is the limit for you. 

During the celebration diner Laura and Viki gave out awards. They saw the best of all of us. Quite a gift. They gave me the  determination award. I had the most flats and the most technical difficulties. With much help I persisted. I was determined to finish this ride no matter what. Hard times pass.  They only last a short time. 

After dinner on George St we became honourary Newfoundlanders with a screech ceremony at Christians Pub. Newfoundland is a great place and good and proud people live here. Come see it for yourself. 

Updating this early on Saturday morning after a great day. Officially over, this trip will last in my memory forever. Thanks to all the riders and driver again. We will meet again I'm sure. 

Waiting for riders to gather together at Tim Hortons before ascending Signal Hill
Feeling accomplished and happy!
Arlen and me.  What an amazing man! @ Signal Hill
Sam aka Junior and me at Signal Hill
Getting Screeched in on George St.







No comments:

Post a Comment